Saturday 25 February 2012

Excerpt: Being Human by Patricia Lynne

Photobucket

Today, we have an amazing YA paranormal novel - Being Human and the excerpt from it.  See here, if you want to win this book.

Original Title: Being Human
Author: Patricia Lynne
Published Date: September 8th 2011
Genre: YA, Paranormal



BOOK DESCRIPTION

For Tommy, there is only one thing he needs to do: survive.

Only surviving isn't that easy. The hunt for blood can be tricky when humans know to fear the night. Desire sits on the edge of his mind, urging him to become the monster humans think he is. Vampire Forces, a special branch of police, is determined to turn every vampire to ash. Tommy included.

The only human Tommy can trust is his twin brother. A bond connects them, and with Danny's help, Tommy starts to understand the human world he struggles to survive in. He'll learn what friendships means and feel the sting of betrayal, find that sometimes the worst monsters are very human, and come to understand that family means more than blood.

Tommy just wants to survive and he knows what he needs to do. But with the number of humans that mean more to him than a meal growing, he'll learn there's more to life than simple survival. He'll discover being human doesn't mean being a human.

BOOK EXCERPT

    Silently, I slid down the roof, landing on the ground. A feeling churned in me, one that had been growing all week. Need. I needed to hunt and feed. Once again, I had been putting it off because of my brother. We didn't talk about my hunger. I think he feared what I would say. I didn't hold back according to him, just blurted the truth out without considering how he'd take it. I didn't see what was wrong about that.
    Still, I felt I should explain how a vampire's hunger worked. I caught thoughts about my hunger when I looked in his eyes. How many humans died because of me? I wanted to let him know I didn't have to feed every night.
    Tonight, I was going to find a human to kill. Anticipation, need and hunger welled in me, fueling me forward. I licked my lips, almost tasting the blood. No homeless human either. They were easy to find alone, but smelled bad and their blood tasted stale.I headed out of the city, following the roads of my preferred hunting grounds. I had to catch the car and stop it, but there were always cars on the highways.
    The vehicle I picked was a heavy-duty truck. Huge tires lifted the body off the ground, the engine roaring as it barreled down the road. I couldn't imagine what had this human in such a rush, but I was enjoying myself.
    That was something I learned on my own. I loved feeling like I was flying as the car drove down the road. The wind blowing around me, watching the ground blur, sent thrills through me. I'd prolong my hunt to enjoy the feeling a little longer.
    In the end, I'd have to come back to reality. It was vital I paid attention. If I was going to kill a human, then I had to do it well out of city limits and while no other cars were around or risk a human calling Vampire Forces.
    Opening my eyes and ignoring the wind around me, I took note of my surroundings. Trees were thick on each side, ditches dry and filled with soft grass. The truck was still a few miles out of the city and heading farther out. Ahead, headlights appeared and I lay low as a car flashed by. Once the car was gone, it was the human in the truck and me.
    I reached down and smashed the driver’s side window. Digging my fingers into the metal, I groped through the broken window and yanked on the steering wheel. A voice yelled, hands grabbing at me and trying to break my grip as the truck careened through the ditch and into the trees.
    Metal twisted and crunched, wood cracked and splintered, sending shards of both into the air as the truck collided with a tree. The momentum of the crash threw me from the roof and into the trees. I stalked back to the truck, circling around to the driver's side. The human was bent over the steering wheel, causing the horn to wail into the calm night. The smell of blood filled the air, sweet and fresh. My jaw tightened and my fangs slid out as I crawled into the truck and grabbed the human. Veins twitched and I felt the warmth of the blood as it pulsed and followed the rhythm of his heart.
    Without warning, the human moved. He screamed unintelligibly, swinging his arm wildly. The blow caught me in the chest, throwing me back. An annoyed growl ripped out of me as I scrambled back up. Only to jump back when a foot long flame burst from the truck.

Now, I know all of us wants to win this book..all you have to do is enter the giveaway here.  Or you can also buy from below link in Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...